Sunday, May 4, 2008

Santogold is not an M.I.A. clone

One of the fresh acts I caught at Coachella this year was Santogold. I didn't see her full set at Coachella: but what I did hear I liked very much. She's got a strong stage presence and knows how to interact with the audience. Her singing was on-key (which can't always be said for M.I.A.).

Admittedly, the track Creator has an M.I.A. vibe to it, however it is more at the genre level. The songs I heard at Coachella had a fun yet complex sound which makes me want to seek out the Santogold LP. In a March NME interview, Santogold (Santi White) describes her self-titled debut album as eclectic, with dub, hip hop, indie, punk, and electronica influences.

Santogold will be playing European festivals all summer, so if you have chance to see her give her a try.
The official video for her single L.E.S. Artistes:


No comments: