Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cory Doctorow At Univ Bookstore Tonight

Mr. Boing Boing will be reading tonight at the University Bookstore, as part of the Clarion West writers workshop instructor reading series. Cory Doctorow will likely be reading from his latest publication Little Brother, a novel for the adolescent market.

Doctorow is the author of several fiction and non-fiction books, including the fun and amusing Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (2003). Down and Out is good summer sci-fi read: short, witty, and doesn't require too much thinking.

However, I'm a little gunshy of favored authors jumping into the youth market. Take Michael Chabon. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay (2000) turned me on to his other works (Wonder Boys, 1995 and A Model World, 1991) so when Chabon's Summerland (for tween market) was released in 2002 I bought the hardback version at an airport. Hardback. Airport. Yep. Wish I could say hauling it around was worth it. I DO like and read children's books, but Summerland? Bah. It felt like it was written with the screen in mind.

It will be interesting to see if Doctorow is able to adjust gracefully to a younger audience, something Chabon struggled with.

Cory Doctorow Reading and Book Signing
Tuesday July 8th, 7 pm
University Book Store - U District
Free

2 comments:

Logothete said...

Hey,

Did you read the backstory to the book, how there's actually a lot of information about practical use of cryptography and privacy in the book? It made it an interesting read for adults as well.

Did you make the reading? How did you like it?

--Corprew

Jeanine Anderson said...

Hey Corprew! I didn't end up making it: I worked later than expected and traffic was a bear. I like reading good youth-oriented fiction, so if you say it is ok, I'll have to check it out. Since we're on the subject of cryptography: have you read one of my all time favs Cryptonomicon?